Re: marrying by BMC_Draks
[March 21, 2018, 08:32:51 AM]

Re: marrying by BMC_Zeuske
[February 22, 2017, 10:39:26 AM]

Re: marrying by BMC_Thunderbird
[February 10, 2017, 11:02:56 PM]

Re: marrying by BMC_Zeuske
[February 10, 2017, 11:34:15 AM]

Author Topic: Vista XP or what?  (Read 2809 times)

Offline BMC_Thunderbird

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • A wok is what you throw at a wabbit.
    • http://bmc-clan.net
Vista XP or what?
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:46:18 PM »
Plagued so i am with looking for different opperating systems and not knowing what to choose......

I go from XP to Vista and back not sure what one is better. Then there is all the "magic" super fast custom built ones like "Indigo" and "black XP"
Yes I have also installed those taking forever to download as they are both the size of DVD.

I have heard and read a lot about Linux but there are sooo many of them and what to choose. I hear Ubuntu is one of the best but my video wont work with it and don't know how to fix errore as I have no idea of the language. Open SUSE works but it stops with my wireless usb and goes no further. I have tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Open Suse, Knophix, Pc Linux. Purchased Linspire 5.0 (which never worked at all). Only one I can get to work without any type of hitch is the new "freespire". But then when I have passed that hurdle of getting it working what do I do then? How does Wine work to make it compatable.

Oh and why am I doing it, I dunno because its free meant to be the best and fast with less errors or viruses etc (is this because it is not as popular???). Oh and theres this also......

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/434675/windows_vista_aero_vs_linux_ubuntu_beryl/

Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate.
Fear no enemy, deny no friend.

---------o00o---°(_)°--o00o----------

Offline BMC_Balatr0

• BMC Leader
  • Registered
Re: Vista XP or what?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:03:21 AM »
for me XP works fine and i wouldnt know why to change ?
Time to put something nice here.

Offline BMC_Zeuske

• Warlord & Official Arcade Beta-tester
  • Registered
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 11:59:39 AM »
lol weird :p

Vista have to many bugs better wait a year or so.... XP is good and stabiel (sometimes)
img src="http://forum.gamepark.cz/sgnt/signature.php?id=126051&p=170&image=1" width="440" height="110" border="0" alt="GamePark.eu">

The Z Brother

Offline BMC_ZurlyNation

• BMC Member
  • Registered
    • http://www.bmc-clan.net
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 07:18:12 AM »
wait till 2010 for windows venture,... or was it windows ven..... i dun remember  :P

There will be new tech developments about personal computer systems, they will be all be added to cellphones.

PC will become obsolete and we will only use super hyper mega flat monitors, no keyboard and or mouse... we will use cellphones.

Check somewhere on internet,... windows corporation is working on that.
Search for Windows 7, Windows 2010, Windows project X, Windows Vienna.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:21:26 AM by BMC_ZurlyNation »

BMC_ZurlyNation ''The Left Z Brother 2007''
BMC Clan ''Beyond Mortality Cooperation Clan''

.::: DreadNation Alliance :::. /// The Z Brothers!!!

Offline BMC_Thunderbird

• Administrator
  • Registered
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:09:21 AM »
Ah Yes thats right, I did hear that originaly Vista was going to be XP service pack 2 but they decided to make it a new system (the fools). In the Also at the same time they were working on Windows Vienna.

Thanks Zurly.

Offline BMC_Zeuske

• Warlord & Official Arcade Beta-tester
  • Registered
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:20:27 PM »
Ah Yes thats right, I did hear that originaly Vista was going to be XP service pack 2 but they decided to make it a new system (the fools). In the Also at the same time they were working on Windows Vienna.

Thanks Zurly.

My sister had a new scanner (1 year old) Lexmark all in one. she bouth her a new PC with windows Vista what happend Printer didn't work even with the new drivers off vista. I tryed to delete (format windows Vista ) and put windows XP back but windows Vista blocked it. I tryed it for a week everything I know from pcs I tryed but didn't work :$ :) result newest printer :)

Thats shit from windows pfffff
img src="http://forum.gamepark.cz/sgnt/signature.php?id=126051&p=170&image=1" width="440" height="110" border="0" alt="GamePark.eu">

The Z Brother

Offline BMC_Thunderbird

• Administrator
  • Registered
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 03:15:25 AM »
Well after a year now I have finally found my "Holy Grail" Ubuntu Hardy Heron. its not just great it is brilliant  :-\  :D

So my quest is almost over on this topic but now I have this there is a lot to learn....

Also my area now has (dont laugh rest of europe  :-[) option of 1mb upgradeable to 2mb broadband (wow). S soon I hope that after over a year in the wilderness I will be able to play AOE once more on the internet.

Has AOE moved on so far that it would be hard for me to get back?  ???

P.S. It took so long because there was not one linux os that could fully install 100% on my pc without a problem.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:19:10 AM by BMC_Thunderbird »

Offline BMC_Balatr0

• BMC Leader
  • Registered
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »
great to hear mr bird, like i already said on ML forum, hope to catch u for a game sometime  :-\ .

I think one big difference is that 1600- players mostly play 45 mins cut michi, so if u start at that level u need to learn how that works (big boom, fast trade and mostly no bbt allowed).

HF MAN !
Time to put something nice here.

Offline BMC_Alfie

• Warlord
  • Registered
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »
Tbird,

you get the Unbuntu and Beryl to work, what is it like, how does Wine go with AOC? What is the learning curve like?

Alfie

Offline BMC_Thunderbird

• Administrator
  • Registered
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »
Hi Alfie,

I got compiz which is beryl (I think) to work and spent most time on ubuntu installing themes games and programmes. It is just fun for me to learn something new.

There is a great guy called Theemahn  who seems to spend all his time making the ultimate combination.
http://ultimateedition.info/ Everything is almost ready and waiting. You would need to visit the forum to get the latest releases as they are released there first. He is currently working on a gamers edition that will include a vast array of online games, he has already done one for last version but this is the only version of ubuntu I could get 100% working on my pc.

I havnt got around to the wine stuff yet because I am having a lot of fun just learning this.

I just like this so much because it is fast unbloated can run live from cd or flash drive, can have great themes, games graphic and educational programs with endless options. All of it for free. B E A utifulllllllll ::)

Offline BMC_Alfie

• Warlord
  • Registered
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »
Tbird

Thanks for this. I am writing from the Ultimate Edition. Still learning heaps (reading trying, going no where, reading trying going no where, ha, a small victory. I can not wait to ge tthe full cube going, going to try and run Wine and AOC shortly. It is definitely nice to use. I could get used to this for sure. Worried about firewalls and stuff, but i will get to that. It seems very solid as well.

I will keep you posted, thanks again.

Offline BMC_Thunderbird

• Administrator
  • Registered
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:24:10 PM »
One of the best things is that linux is mean to be so secure it does not need firewall not virus software. Most hackers will write their virus scripts for microsoft and exploit their holes.

I dont know why its not common in linux, it could be because percentage wise linux usage is very small for use at home. It is quite the opposite on the internet though, almost all servers use linux scripts.

I am also quite sure that I saw a Virus and Firewall program being closed off when Ultimate is shutting down.

Did you get other effects? You may need to chack and see if your graphics driver has been activated. Go to System / administration / and then hardware devices I think, you should get video card there as either active or not.

Oh and make sure you are using 32 bit, almost all games are 32 bit.
I tried to get AOE to work but never looked into it too much as I am just looking at what else I can try.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal